Ballisk Walkway opening times

General discussion on all issues relating to Donabate and Portrane

Ballisk Walkway opening times

Postby Lo-cal » 30 Mar 2015, 00:11

I've just arrived home having walked the 'long way' from the village to Beverton Avenue and noticed that the Ballisk Walkway gate, which is supposed to be closed at 10.30pm as stated on the sign, is still open (12.45am). I have no objection to the gate being open at this time however, if I had known that the gate was still open when I left the village it would have saved me an extra 30 minutes walk! It's the 'not knowing' that bothers me. Thanks for listening.
Lo-cal

Re: Ballisk Walkway opening times

Postby Quello Serio » 30 Mar 2015, 15:02

How did you know it was open? You didn't walk all the way over from the far side just to check, in the dark, after midnight, did you? That would be a bit nuts.
Quello Serio

Postby Lo-cal » 30 Mar 2015, 18:12

I live over that side of the estate so passed by the gate.
Lo-cal

Postby Aster » 06 Apr 2015, 16:29

I would really like the gate to be open 24/7. I have heard that it isn't actually legal for it to be locked at all, but nobody seems willing to challenge it.
Aster

Postby Bongo68 » 12 Jun 2017, 21:11

I know this is an old thread but i was just wondering would it be unreasonable for say the ballisk walkway to remain open for at least a half an hour at night after the last train leaves Donabate train station.Gate currently closes at 10.30pm so this would mean the gate closing around the 12.30am mark which i think is a civilised hour.If the opening time of the gate can meet the morning trains why can't the closing time meet the last trains?
Bongo68

Postby yelruf » 13 Jun 2017, 17:16

Who opens and closes the gate ?
yelruf

Postby Bongo68 » 13 Jun 2017, 20:37

http://www.independent.ie/regionals/fin ... 71400.html

‘We’ve agreed with the residents to open the gate at 6.30am and close it at 10.30pm but these times may be adjusted pending further discussion and agreement with residents,’ said Mr Caulfield.

I cannot recall at any stage Fingal County Council consulting with Beverton residents.It appears that only the Ballisk Lane Residents Association have been involved in this process.

I believe that the opening and closing of the gate is operated by a private security firm and currently costs Fingal County Council around €11,000 annually if not more.

Surely as taxpayers aswell Beverton residents should be given an opportunity by Fingal County Council to have a say as to whether or not they agree with the current opening and closing times of the gate.
Bongo68

Postby Donabate Hatter » 14 Jun 2017, 11:02

Hi

Although this doesn't affect me, can someone explain why the gate needs to be locked at all?

DH
Donabate Hatter

Postby topsyturvey » 15 Jun 2017, 12:12

My recollection is that the Ballisk Lane residents were better organised and represented than the Beverton residents even though outnumbered 10 to 1... hence the restricted opening and the times themselves (allowing for the last train would have been more reasonable) plus an annual budget to pay the security company.
topsyturvey

Postby Donabate Hatter » 15 Jun 2017, 12:27

Hi

That doesn't explain why, a presumably public right of way, is locked each evening, what is the purpose of locking it, who are they trying to lock out??
Donabate Hatter

Postby Harry Byrne » 15 Jun 2017, 12:33

If I recall correctly the restrictions on the gate were a planning condition for that part of Beverton?
Harry Byrne

Postby topsyturvey » 15 Jun 2017, 12:34

Again it is only my recollection and the residents of Ballisk Lane can no doubt better explain it but I believe they argued obviously successfully that having the laneway opened to the residents of Beverton would potentially see the residents of Ballisk Lane exposed to anti social behavior presumably with the risk deemed to be greater at night - and that the benefit to Beverton residents and other uses of the lane after during the restricted hours was deemed to be outweighted, again presumably by Fingal Co Co, by the potential for anti social behavior.
topsyturvey

Postby topsyturvey » 15 Jun 2017, 12:38

I recollect there was also another walkway originally planned from Beverton Walk through the Galleries and on to the train station but as far as I know it was canned due to protestations by Beverton residents this time in the vicinity of the proposed access.
topsyturvey

Postby Quello Serio » 15 Jun 2017, 13:02

I wonder if in 2005, each lane resident had been offered a once off payment of €5,000 for the inconvenience, would they have accepted? I count 17 houses. That would have been much less than the total spent so far.

I'm please to see that everyone has been co-operative with this bizarre arrangement, and no-one has considered hiding one of these in a hedge, which would be bad: http://www.diy.com/departments/jcb-crmo ... 842_BQ.prd.

Don't do this obviously, but you get 10% off if you sign up for a B&Q loyalty card.
Quello Serio

Postby Bongo68 » 15 Jun 2017, 13:23

http://www.independent.ie/regionals/fin ... 96942.html

"In response, the council said residents of Ballisk Lane were consulted over the use of the lane as the main pedestrian link between Beverton and the town centre, back in 2001.

Residents expressed concern that the increased use of the lane would lead to antisocial behaviour, particularly at night-time,' the council said."

Utter nonsesnse!To me this appears to be one set of residents holding sway over another set of residents - not in my backyard mentality.Ironically the gate is not closed at exactly 10.30pm every night and can remain open for an hour or two after that time.Living in close proximity to the gate for the last 12 years i am not aware of any instance of anti-social behaviour in that time.

Commonsense should prevail here and for the gate to remain open for another two hours at night is not an unreasonable demand in my eyes.

By the way the gate is not as fancy as the Indo photograph!
Bongo68

Postby Bawner » 15 Jun 2017, 17:08

Could it be that late trains were not in existence when this was agreed? It's not that long ago when there were bugger all trains after rush hour...
Bawner

Postby Bongo68 » 15 Jun 2017, 17:51

All the more reason for the opening hours of the gate to be reviewed say maybe on an annual basis by Fingal County Council and not as they currently are written in stone seemingly because one set of residents keep rolling out the constant lame excuse of anti-social behaviour.Where is the factual evidence for this anti-social behaviour?This excuse was made back in 2001 four years before the gate was even opened :

http://www.independent.ie/regionals/fin ... 96942.html

"In response, the council said residents of Ballisk Lane were consulted over the use of the lane as the main pedestrian link between Beverton and the town centre, back in 2001."

'Residents expressed concern that the increased use of the lane would lead to antisocial behaviour, particularly at night-time,' the council said.

How 16 or 17 houses in Ballisk can dictate terms to an estate of 100 plus houses in Beverton beggars belief.

On a different note i am lead to believe that the current security firm have lost the contract because the gate was not being closed at 10.30pm and is now out for tender again by Fingal County Council.This should appear shortly on etenders.gov.ie.Meanwhile i can confirm that the gate is currently unmonitored and open 24/7.I still have yet to witness the so-called exaggerated claims of anti social behaviour.
Last edited by Bongo68 on 16 Jun 2017, 03:02, edited 2 times in total.
Bongo68

Postby Ken » 15 Jun 2017, 18:25

It does seem odd as to why there is a gate there at all. It's not like it opens on to private land. It's a public road. Even more unbelievable is that FCC are paying money to have it opened and closed every day.
Regards,

Ken.
Ken
Site Admin

Postby Bongo68 » 19 Jun 2017, 21:30

Received the following response from Fingal County Council today on this matter :

"Your email on behalf of residents of Beverton,Donabate , in relation to opening/closing of the gate on Ballisk Lane refers.
Please note that the residents of Ballisk Lane reached an agreement with the Council during a series of meetings in relation to the Donabate West Action Plan in 2001, regarding the opening/closing times of this gate.We have suggested on a number of occasions that it would be reasonable to leave the gate open to facilitate local passengers on the last train to Donabate but this has been rejected by the residents of Ballisk Lane.
In the circumstances , the Council is not in a position to extend the opening hours of the gate but will continue to engage with Ballisk residents in this regard ,"

Even Fingal County Council agree with me!I think the key-word here is "reasonable".I think the Ballisk Lane residents are being unreasonable in the extreme and are holding Beverton residents to ransom on this issue.They have the best of both worlds - being able to access Beverton estate up until 10.30pm and avail post 10.30pm the last trains into Donabate.Why do Fingal County Council not engage with the residents of Beverton to the same degree as Ballisk???

I can only assume from the lack of response from Beverton residents on this issue they are happy with the status quo and i will leave it at that.Enjoy the weather! :D
Last edited by Bongo68 on 19 Jun 2017, 21:53, edited 4 times in total.
Bongo68

Postby Ken » 19 Jun 2017, 21:34

In other words, they're telling you to go away. If I were you, I'd organise a petition from the Beverton Residents and approach the local Councillors. Nothing like people power to get things moving.
Regards,

Ken.
Ken
Site Admin

Postby Bongo68 » 19 Jun 2017, 22:22

Hi Ken

I do appreciate where you are coming from but i feel that Fingal County Council should be the ones to take the bull by the horns on this issue and not let the minority rule the majority as is the case here.The onus is on them to establish a concensus.Attempts to establish a Beverton residents association have failed spectacularly in the past because of egos etc etc.A simple survey of the views of Beverton residents carried out by Fingal County Council would quickly establish the concensus.Based on this a democratic decision could be made.It seems to me that the council are currently bending over backwards to accomodate the Ballisk Lane residents but are ignoring the residents of Beverton.What are they afraid of???Why the pussyfooting around???At the end of the day we are all taxpayers with supposedly equal say.I have in the meantime contacted local councillors on this issue but please Beverton residents if you feel the same on this issue please contact your local councillors.
Bongo68

Postby Lo-cal » 20 Jun 2017, 11:15

I am the initial poster of this thread so I agree with the other posters on this subject. I joined a recently set-up Facebook page called Beverton Residents Association (https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id ... &ref=br_rs) who advise that Cllr Adrian Henchy will try to organise a meeting for the Beverton Residents over the two+ weeks. Ideas received so far for discussion are Street bins, reducing the speed limit in the estate, closing break in the fence between Beverton Green and the Meadows. No mention of the Ballisk Walkway. Where do I get the names and contacts of the other local councillors? Thanks.
Lo-cal

Postby Ken » 20 Jun 2017, 11:18

Lo-cal wrote:I am the initial poster of this thread so I agree with the other posters on this subject. I joined a recently set-up Facebook page called Beverton Residents Association (https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id ... &ref=br_rs) who advise that Cllr Adrian Henchy will try to organise a meeting for the Beverton Residents over the two+ weeks. Ideas received so far for discussion are Street bins, reducing the speed limit in the estate, closing break in the fence between Beverton Green and the Meadows. No mention of the Ballisk Walkway. Where do I get the names and contacts of the other local councillors? Thanks.

http://www.fingalcoco.ie/your-council/y ... uncillors/
Regards,

Ken.
Ken
Site Admin

Postby Bongo68 » 20 Jun 2017, 12:26

Hi Lo-cal

Firstly apologies for hi-jacking and piggy-backing on your original thread!

For your information the Operations Department in Fingal Co Co are responsible for the management of the gate.Their number is 01-890 5595.However from the response i received from them , as you will see previously in the thread , i have to agree with Ken on this one " In other words, they're telling you to go away."For some reason or other i seem to have hit upon a nerve and am being told to quickly move on!!!

I was not aware that we currently have a Beverton Residents Association.They need to advertise themselves better and get themselves out there.Not everybody uses Facebook!

Is there a contact person to whom we can contact in the current Association to add this topic to the agenda for discussion at least and try and gauge opinion on the matter???

If you do hear anything about the meeting with Adrian Henchy please let me know.
Last edited by Bongo68 on 20 Jun 2017, 14:23, edited 1 time in total.
Bongo68

Postby Lo-cal » 20 Jun 2017, 13:37

Ken wrote:
Lo-cal wrote:I am the initial poster of this thread so I agree with the other posters on this subject. I joined a recently set-up Facebook page called Beverton Residents Association (https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id ... &ref=br_rs) who advise that Cllr Adrian Henchy will try to organise a meeting for the Beverton Residents over the two+ weeks. Ideas received so far for discussion are Street bins, reducing the speed limit in the estate, closing break in the fence between Beverton Green and the Meadows. No mention of the Ballisk Walkway. Where do I get the names and contacts of the other local councillors? Thanks.

http://www.fingalcoco.ie/your-council/y ... uncillors/

Thank you Ken.
Lo-cal

Next

Return to General Discussion