New Houses at Beresford

General discussion on all issues relating to Donabate and Portrane

Re: New Houses at Beresford

Postby Stella » 05 Oct 2017, 14:02

Hi All, anyone know of any cleaners available for 2 hours a week in Beresford? Thanks a mill!
Stella
 
Posts: 4
Joined: 25 Jan 2017, 12:53

Re: New Houses at Beresford

Postby Carv » 06 Oct 2017, 08:58

Hey all,

Just read through all the posts about Beresford, great to have some insight from the first phase of the build. My wife and I put our booking deposit down for one of the three beds (just behind the listed house), I see the foundations are in and the are already building the external walls. Excited to have our first home.

Any words of advice for us on the lead up to move in date, or anything you wish you would have asked or done before you moved in or even during the first few weeks on move in?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
Carv
Carv
 
Posts: 15
Joined: 06 Oct 2017, 08:53

Re: New Houses at Beresford

Postby misterrabo » 06 Oct 2017, 10:30

The following is just my opinion so take it with as much of a pinch of salt as you like.

Am I correct in saying that upon completion Beresford will have 400+ houses?
This to me is a recipe for anti-social behaviour in 10 to 15 years time. 400+ houses on the one site does not bode well for the future.

Always worth looking at the long term. There are a number of other smaller developments popping up around Donabate that would be worth looking at.

Of course I could be 100% wrong and I hope I am.
misterrabo
 
Posts: 3
Joined: 06 Oct 2017, 10:27

Re: New Houses at Beresford

Postby Carv » 06 Oct 2017, 10:54

I don't know how they will fit in over 400 houses. Currently the plan is 155. Unless they plan to go left towards the old turvey golf course. They are putting in 33 houses at the back field and cannot go further than that because it is the Beaverstown golf club and they wouldn't be able to put that many more behind Beverton. Take a look at the satalite images on google maps. It would give you a good idea of the space left for building.

We had looked at the other developments, Rahillion and the one on Beaverstown road but Hora buildings have a high reputation with build quality. We also spoke to a few residents of beresford and they are thrilled with their houses so that's what help sell us purchasing here.
Carv
 
Posts: 15
Joined: 06 Oct 2017, 08:53

Re: New Houses at Beresford

Postby Mr. Stupid » 06 Oct 2017, 11:13

Carv wrote:I don't know how they will fit in over 400 houses. Currently the plan is 155. Unless they plan to go left towards the old turvey golf course. They are putting in 33 houses at the back field and cannot go further than that because it is the Beaverstown golf club and they wouldn't be able to put that many more behind Beverton. Take a look at the satalite images on google maps. It would give you a good idea of the space left for building.

We had looked at the other developments, Rahillion and the one on Beaverstown road but Hora buildings have a high reputation with build quality. We also spoke to a few residents of beresford and they are thrilled with their houses so that's what help sell us purchasing here.

Welcome to the area Carv. Yes there's about another 200+ houses (and apartments) going in the field between Beverton and Beaverbrook Golf Club.
Mr. Stupid
 
Posts: 601
Joined: 15 Oct 2012, 10:54

Re: New Houses at Beresford

Postby Carv » 06 Oct 2017, 11:24

Mr. Stupid wrote: Welcome to the area Carv. Yes there's about another 200+ houses (and apartments) going in the field between Beverton and Beaverbrook Golf Club.


Thanks appreciate it :) The house won't be ready for another 6-7 months. Really excited though.

Oh hopefully they figure out another entrance if another 200+ houses are expected. I am not sure that one entrance would be enough to cover all houses. A lot of through traffic for the houses at the front.

Any words of advice for a first time buyer? Anything we should request or anything to look out for?

Thanks
Carv
 
Posts: 15
Joined: 06 Oct 2017, 08:53

Re: New Houses at Beresford

Postby Austy » 06 Oct 2017, 22:30

Hi Carv

Words of advice for the new builds:

If you can, increase the spec of your kitchen. We had a €5k credit to speck the kitchen with Kube (I assume this still applies) but added more to put in a 6 hob induction cooker, larger extraction fan and a double oven - if you do any sort of entertaining at all, you'll be glad you did.

When you do the snag list, take your time with it and check everything. I know it's your first house and all that, but keep the excitement in check and look at everything, paint finishes, doors jamming in the frames, light bulbs, the heating system and don't forget to check outside as well as inside. It might be best to take a friend or someone suitable who knows about buildings to come along.

When you go to spec your house, if there is a dark slate grey tile option for the bathrooms, don't go for it. It looks great, however it is so hard it chews up drill bits as you try to fix towel/toilet roll holders to the wall.

If you plan on fitting wooden floors to your new house, keep in mind that the concrete floor will remain damp for a number of weeks after you move in. I'd advise putting on the heating and also opening doors and windows to allow air through, better yet is to rent a dehumidifier. If you don't, chances are your wooden floor will buckle and cause you more hassle in the longer term.

If it is not supplied, ask for an outdoor electrical socket, well worth it.

That's about it. If you want details of furniture and timber floor suppliers I used, give me a PM. They saved me quite a bit of money.

Best of luck
User avatar
Austy
 
Posts: 73
Joined: 08 Jun 2014, 18:28

Re: New Houses at Beresford

Postby Carv » 09 Oct 2017, 06:43

Thanks very much Austy. Yeah adding extra hobs will be good especially as we will be expected to host christmas dinners soon enough.

Yeah I think we will be going with Laminate flooring just as they are easier kept clean. Good point about waiting for the concrete to fully dry. I think now they keep the heating on and air out the place a good few weeks before move in.

Also are there ethernet ports supplied throughout the house or is that an extra request?

Thanks
Carv
Carv
 
Posts: 15
Joined: 06 Oct 2017, 08:53

Re: New Houses at Beresford

Postby Austy » 09 Oct 2017, 07:41

No Ethernet ports in the house, you could certainly ask the question however I don't know if the builder would be receptive to the idea, they work very much on a standard product type idea, anything extra just delays things. If you do happen to get Ethernet cables laid, I'd suggest getting one in place in the attic for the purposes of future proofing. I've converted mine, but the WiFi struggles due to the foil backed insulation and fire door etc. in the attic and the router at the front door. An Ethernet would solve that.
User avatar
Austy
 
Posts: 73
Joined: 08 Jun 2014, 18:28

Re: New Houses at Beresford

Postby Carv » 09 Oct 2017, 07:49

Yeah I would have guessed they wouldn't be receptive to going "off schedule." We are planning to get the attic converted anyways and thats going to be my games room, so having an ethernet port would be good. I know you can get those wall socket ones but don't know how reliable they are.

I hear they are putting in a playground not too far from the listed building and also a side path into Newbridge House. Good amenities :)
Carv
 
Posts: 15
Joined: 06 Oct 2017, 08:53

Re: New Houses at Beresford

Postby Emmeth2017 » 09 Oct 2017, 15:02

Hi All. Due to have our house in Beresford ready for snagging by the end of the month. Does anyone know how long it will take from that point to move in? Also if anyone had a list of local suppliers for floors/blinds etc that they could PM me that would be much appreciated.
Emmeth2017
 
Posts: 3
Joined: 08 Oct 2017, 18:52

Re: New Houses at Beresford

Postby Emmeth2017 » 09 Oct 2017, 15:22

Thanks Austy. Really helpful. Been waiting on it for quite awhile so hopefully we’re nearly there!
Emmeth2017
 
Posts: 3
Joined: 08 Oct 2017, 18:52

Re: New Houses at Beresford

Postby Emmeth2017 » 10 Oct 2017, 21:42

Thanks Apples16. All very helpful. Looking forward to meeting all of the new neighbours!
Emmeth2017
 
Posts: 3
Joined: 08 Oct 2017, 18:52

Re: New Houses at Beresford

Postby rataan » 11 Oct 2017, 14:50

Carv wrote:Hey all,

Just read through all the posts about Beresford, great to have some insight from the first phase of the build. My wife and I put our booking deposit down for one of the three beds (just behind the listed house), I see the foundations are in and the are already building the external walls. Excited to have our first home.

Any words of advice for us on the lead up to move in date, or anything you wish you would have asked or done before you moved in or even during the first few weeks on move in?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
Carv


Welcome to the neighbourhood Carv. I can think of 2 things that I wish I had’ve known before moving in, the quality of the tiling and the number of coax cables!

The tiler that the builder used did a pretty poor job on my house. Chipped tiles and poor finishing with the grout and chrome trim. If I could go back, I would have asked the builder for a tiling allowance and hired my own tiler. It would have cost a little bit extra but it would have been done properly at least.

Regarding coax’s: there is a tv point in the sitting room, kitchen and each bedroom. Each tv point has a single coax cable and a cat5 cable behind the faceplate, with the exception of the sitting room, which has 2 coax cables and a separate phone socket. There is a junction box under the stairs for the cat5 and phone cables, and the coax cables terminate in the attic. There is no cat5 in the attic. Again, if I could go back I would have asked the builder to put 4 coax’s (2 for satellite, 1 for aerial, 1 for broadband) in the sitting room and 3 coax’s in the kitchen (2 for satellite, 1 for aerial).

If the builder won’t put in additional coax’s for you, or the cat5 cable into the attic, you could maybe contact the guy directly who installs those cables. If the builder won’t give you his number, I or any other resident should be able to give it to you, as it’s in the manual that comes with the house.
rataan
 
Posts: 14
Joined: 22 Feb 2016, 10:59

Re: New Houses at Beresford

Postby Northwest » 16 Oct 2017, 21:10

Evening All.
Soon to be a resident of Beresford and I was wondering if you could help me out.
Going to select kitchens from Kube in a while and I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations etc on the process.
Even though the choice is limited still finding it hard to decide.
Hoping to get internal drawers for wardrobes and maybe granite but not sure if its worth it.

Would also like hidden sockets in Island..wondering if this is possible?

Also re the painting and tiling..is there much of a choice in colours?

Thanks very much for reading and appreciate any responses.
Northwest
 
Posts: 7
Joined: 16 Oct 2017, 21:00

Re: New Houses at Beresford

Postby cbc » 18 Oct 2017, 11:33

Thanks for all this information very helpful, i'm also at kitchen picking stage. Strangely i did a 360 on what i taught i wanted when i went to visit the Kube showroom. I was 100% sure i was going to fork out for the quartz countertops as i really dont like laminate. After visiting the showroom i found i actually liked the laminate, it looked and felt quite real wood like(still not sure about it as a splash back), so now for the cost of the quartz it would nearly pay for appliance & island/peninsula extras. I did ask about changing the doors on presses via email and was told 200 for a design(no chance, if i'm giving you 5k on top of what builder paid them i'm not paying 200 for what i think should come for free, tbh i just want to know if there is extra costs with getting press doors like https://www.myhome.ie/residential/broch ... in/4127326 and what the cost difference is so i can make decision on weather it is worth it).
Wardrobe wise i think all options for doors are cheap looking, the soft glass at a 300 extra is a bit steep although i think the drawer packs are a good idea but not thrilled at having to pay extra for them.

Regarding floors i did find a local guy on facebook that has pictures and videos of floors he has laid you can tell lots of the houses are in beresford, its nice to see what people have gone for https://www.facebook.com/johngouldsburyfloorings/

Anyone living in a 3 bed type C house and have any recommendations on furniture layout in Living room e.g 3 seater + 2 seater or what fits best 3seater 7 chair etc.

Is there any options in bathrooms other than tiles, if possible i'd like to change sink in bathroom/ensuite to a vanity type unit(hidden storage).

Last question, paint choice, i see there is supposed to be choice of paint but every house i've seen has same colour which is unusual if there is a choice(as taste in kitchens is very varied).

Thanks in advance...
cbc
 
Posts: 18
Joined: 09 May 2017, 16:35

Re: New Houses at Beresford

Postby Batman3 » 20 Oct 2017, 00:05

Hi folks, thanks for the enlightening discussion on here. Will be moving into this estate myself in the not too distant future.
I would like to ask if anyone else would have encountered shoddy work from the builders tiler as alluded to above?
I thought previous houses had decent looking tile work and am intending employing Cyril to put down tiles on the kitchen floor.
Would greatly appreciate your comments or even private messages! Thanks Gotham, sorry Donabate!! :D
Batman3
 
Posts: 3
Joined: 19 Oct 2017, 23:55

Re: New Houses at Beresford

Postby cbc » 20 Oct 2017, 09:18

I'm also interested in any comments on the tiling as for the few houses i was in i taught the tiling was pretty good.
cbc
 
Posts: 18
Joined: 09 May 2017, 16:35

Re: New Houses at Beresford

Postby Apples16 » 21 Oct 2017, 11:00

Batman3 wrote:Hi folks, thanks for the enlightening discussion on here. Will be moving into this estate myself in the not too distant future.
I would like to ask if anyone else would have encountered shoddy work from the builders tiler as alluded to above?
I thought previous houses had decent looking tile work and am intending employing Cyril to put down tiles on the kitchen floor.
Would greatly appreciate your comments or even private messages! Thanks Gotham, sorry Donabate!! :D


Cyril Halton did our tiles (kitchen & hall). We were delighted with his work, very professionally done and quick too. Very happy to recommend him.
Apples16
 
Posts: 28
Joined: 21 Aug 2016, 17:42

Re: New Houses at Beresford

Postby Batman3 » 22 Oct 2017, 22:14

Apples16 wrote:
Batman3 wrote:Hi folks, thanks for the enlightening discussion on here. Will be moving into this estate myself in the not too distant future.
I would like to ask if anyone else would have encountered shoddy work from the builders tiler as alluded to above?
I thought previous houses had decent looking tile work and am intending employing Cyril to put down tiles on the kitchen floor.
Would greatly appreciate your comments or even private messages! Thanks Gotham, sorry Donabate!! :D


Cyril Halton did our tiles (kitchen & hall). We were delighted with his work, very professionally done and quick too. Very happy to recommend him.


Thanks for that Apples16.
I've made offline enquiries and that's who I'm getting as he seems highly recommended...as does John Gouldsbury for floors ( good to see his work on Facebook page too).

To be fair any tiling work I had observed in Beresford looked good to me!
Batman3
 
Posts: 3
Joined: 19 Oct 2017, 23:55

Re: New Houses at Beresford

Postby CM27 » 24 Oct 2017, 08:36

Hi All,

there will be a meeting tonight 24th October at 8.30 in the function hall in Keelings - regarding the new development behind Beresford

Aidan, Tom and Alan Hora will be in attendance and present us with an update of the new development and their plans to address our concerns. Brendan Kinnane, the owner of the lands (Oakstone) will also join the meeting.

They will talk to you all directly about the issues they are facing with the construction road, as well as the other offers they previously made to us i.e. potential for speed ramps, a revision to the entrance. These are all things that they are going to progress and next week they will also look to the entrance bend where they hope to remove a portion of the kerb to make more room. Please note, this will NOT involve the pillars being moved, nor the path. It's simply the kerb depth (which is quite thick) which will be looked at.
CM27
 
Posts: 15
Joined: 22 Dec 2016, 11:48

Re: New Houses at Beresford

Postby Carv » 25 Oct 2017, 08:41

How did the meeting go CM27?
Carv
 
Posts: 15
Joined: 06 Oct 2017, 08:53

Re: New Houses at Beresford

Postby Defcom » 29 Oct 2017, 13:17

Hi Can anyone tell me is there an online resource where i can look at the site plan(the land that my house is on) for my house specifically not the over all development?

cheers
Defcom
 
Posts: 85
Joined: 04 Mar 2013, 21:57

Re: New Houses at Beresford

Postby Ken » 29 Oct 2017, 15:33

Defcom wrote:Hi Can anyone tell me is there an online resource where i can look at the site plan(the land that my house is on) for my house specifically not the over all development?

cheers


I would guess the only place you'd get a plan of your site (if it even exists) would be from the builder themselves. You've probably seen the plans on Fingal.ie which are submitted for planning permission purposes, but they would be plans of the whole deveopment only.
Regards,

Ken.
User avatar
Ken
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1085
Joined: 21 Sep 2012, 12:03

Re: New Houses at Beresford

Postby Northwest » 30 Oct 2017, 22:29

Hi all,,, can anyone at all let us know of the meeting with the builder went last week?
Thanks...
Northwest
 
Posts: 7
Joined: 16 Oct 2017, 21:00

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests