New Houses at Beresford

General discussion on all issues relating to Donabate and Portrane
TheBlowIn

Re: New Houses at Beresford

Post by TheBlowIn » 24 Jun 2015, 10:57

donnelbg wrote: ...The model number on the new heat exchanger is WH-MHF09D3E5 so it is slightly different (output water at 65 degrees max compared to 55). I mainly wanted to make sure that the builder was not trying to pull a fast one. He isn't. It's exactly what he said it was but I had to check. As I said before, myself and my wife are very happy with the build and the builders, their attention to detail and the general high standard of the build...

...On a side note, I don't suppose you know any farmers in the area who wouldn't mind me putting a few bee hives in their fields??
I've no reason to doubt the builders either, but I don't understand why the hotter output water would compensate for removing the solder panels. The houses should be fitted with aluminium radiators designed to work with lower-temperature water from a heat pump (as opposed to a boiler), and raising the output temp lowers the pump's efficiency. At the end of the day it's just cost/energy saving, so once the system works it doesn't matter much how it's achieved, but I'll be checking this up.

On the bees, I think the large field opposite the Newbridge House entrance on Hearse Rd. had hives in it before, thought I saw them as I drove by. I'd imagine any tillage farmer would be delighted (buzzing :) ) to have a few hives given how scarce bees are becoming.

Austy

Post by Austy » 24 Jun 2015, 21:11

TheBlowIn wrote:
donnelbg wrote:
I've no reason to doubt the builders either, but I don't understand why the hotter output water would compensate for removing the solder panels. The houses should be fitted with aluminium radiators designed to work with lower-temperature water from a heat pump (as opposed to a boiler), and raising the output temp lowers the pump's efficiency. At the end of the day it's just cost/energy saving, so once the system works it doesn't matter much how it's achieved, but I'll be checking this up.

On the bees, I think the large field opposite the Newbridge House entrance on Hearse Rd. had hives in it before, thought I saw them as I drove by. I'd imagine any tillage farmer would be delighted (buzzing :) ) to have a few hives given how scarce bees are becoming.
If your pump is producing hotter water, then all the better. While it is good here, the water could do with being a little hotter to be honest, though it's not something that I'll be too worried about. Yes, all the houses are fitted with aluminium radiators, Joule is the company that manufactures them, they do look pretty funky.
I just did a quick calc on the output of the solar panel and what it would have saved us in electricity - €104 since last July! Nothing too fantastic to be honest but it all helps. If you are currently using gas/oil, you will see a saving.

Regarding the bees, not sure if they were hives in that field, often they have pickers in there and the boxes are stacked on top of each other, though they do look like hives. (I could be wrong!) You could always start a new post on here.

donnelbg

Post by donnelbg » 25 Jun 2015, 21:17

My main concern with removing the solar panels was that we felt we had paid for them and were suddenly not getting them. But the different model and different stove apparently cost more so this compensated for the cost of solar panels. I'd love to know what the actual difference in cost was. Does the money saved by removing the solar equal the additional cost of a different heat pump and stove? I'm not sure.

The builders basically said this, and I don't know a lot about home heating so I'm just regurgitating what I was told. The previous model of heat pump (Beverton) can deliver 55 degree water. It also has a built in immersion heater (inefficient compared to heat pump) that can kick in in order to get the water temperature up past 60 or so. This, believe it or not, it to prevent the bacteria that causes Legionnaires disease. The newer model heat pump can generate 65 degree water without the immersion heater and so can do this job more efficiently. There's some info on this webpage...

http://www.accepta.com/environmental-wa ... er-systems

Either way, I don't think this has to happen that often so probably won't amount to much additional cost of running. All in all, the houses are super insulated so should be cheap to heat as Austy pointed out.

donnelbg

Post by donnelbg » 25 Jun 2015, 21:20

Oh, and the bees! I'll start a new topic one of these days and see what happens. I know the Fingal beekeepers association keeps bees near the allotments but it looks very busy up there. Too much competition for nectar!! :D

I have asked the man who works in the country crest to see if he knows any local farmers. he took my name and number and said he'd see what he can do. Not in a massive rush as I can leave them where they are for the moment but need to move them before the end of the summer definitely.

Thanks!

Archdale

Post by Archdale » 26 Jun 2015, 07:12

@123 there's one 4 bed remaining, went up on myhomes.ie this morning

aido123

Post by aido123 » 26 Jun 2015, 11:18

Thanks for the info all, looking forward now to moving in, we're also in the first phase. Also looks like the prices have gone up although the 4 bed there could have a bigger garden (or solar panels ;-) ).

tsuzmir

Post by tsuzmir » 26 Jun 2015, 14:45

@donnelbg re:bees
my friend has a bee house in Oldtown on a farmers land (https://www.facebook.com/oldtownapiary). i can put you in touch with him if you want. it's is around 15km away if that's not too far. on the other hand, perhaps we could try to do with turvey allotments what they did in balbriggan, where they keep hens, pigs and bees :) that would be handy :D

donnelbg

Post by donnelbg » 26 Jun 2015, 16:25

Hi Tsuzmir,

Thanks for the offer but I will look a little closer to home. They need to be closer so I can just nip out and work on them instead of having to drive! I appreciate the offer!

I would love to see hens and pigs on the allotments! :)

Archdale

Post by Archdale » 26 Jun 2015, 18:13

For those who have bought in Beresford or Beverton, how did you find Kube to deal with for the kitchen and wardrobes ? Still early days for us but should be getting in contact with them soon to pick out the kitchen

donnelbg

Post by donnelbg » 26 Jun 2015, 20:31

I found Kube very good. We met Edward up there when we got the call to pick out the kitchen and he spent as long as it needed to pick out everything. We also made changes to the original kitchen and they did up a few 3D renders of it to see how it would look.

Austy

Post by Austy » 26 Jun 2015, 23:54

Archdale wrote:For those who have bought in Beresford or Beverton, how did you find Kube to deal with for the kitchen and wardrobes ? Still early days for us but should be getting in contact with them soon to pick out the kitchen
Kube were pretty easy to deal with to be honest, you select the kitchen and wardrobes separately. Depending on your budget, you can alter the kitchen to suit your needs. Some have added an island unit to the kitchen with extra storage. We upgraded the some of the appliances and specified different doors/counter top.
With regard to the wardrobes, we moved the wall back over the stairs to accommodate the stairs for a future attic conversion so we received a credit as there was no wardrobe going into the box room. You can't add the credit to the kitchen, it can only be used with the wardrobes.

Best of luck and have fun!

aido123

Post by aido123 » 29 Sep 2015, 23:09

Anyone managed to get any sort of broadband in here yet? Eircom's network service guys kn were out today & they said the builder has to do something or other, the builder says it's eircom's fault, the latest is that the builder is now trying to get UPC in, which could take months, next year perhaps. A bit of a joke. Anyone any other info? Thanks

Lainey_B01

Post by Lainey_B01 » 30 Sep 2015, 07:50

Hi we are due to move in end of the year. Broadband connection is a major issue for us. We have been speaking with Hora and some current residents on the issue. The problem very much lies with Eircoms inability to do its job. Eircom have not connected the development, everything in place for them for months and notified a year ago of the development works. It will be a few weeks before Eircom can pull the finger out. Totally unacceptable level of service, there are residents with zero connection for 2months! I believe some of the "reasons " given by Eircom for delay have been totally bonkers. The new flashing eir marketing campaign really grinds our gears.

Unfortunately if you are also a three mobile customer you will also be experiencing poor service for last 3months. So no broadband and no data.... Ludicrous.

Agenda point one for first residents meeting??

Essexboy

Post by Essexboy » 30 Sep 2015, 08:21

I gather from speaking to Eir, the green cabinet is up just inside the estate.
KN Group do all the associated works regarding cabinets/ducting, this is all done and they are awaiting the cable to be pulled in to make the cabinet live. I will make a call today and keep you posted.

aido123

Post by aido123 » 30 Sep 2015, 09:33

Thanks for the update Essexboy, but I bet they will have another issue.

Eircom really are a joke of a company, I tried to get broadband for my parents down the country earlier this year & took 4 months for them to tell me that the line between the lane pole & my parents house (15 meters at best) needed to be replaced & they would only do so if we got a landline phone also. I told them where to go & bought two bridges/routers for 70 quid & they now share my sister's internet for free!! They just didn't want my money I guess.

micropoodle

Post by micropoodle » 30 Sep 2015, 10:41

Is UPC connectivity an option there?
No need then for archaic 'landlines'

you should probably be pushing UPC just as much as the company with the completely ridiculous new name

TheBlowIn

Post by TheBlowIn » 30 Sep 2015, 17:16

Essexboy wrote:I gather from speaking to Eir, the green cabinet is up just inside the estate.
KN Group do all the associated works regarding cabinets/ducting, this is all done and they are awaiting the cable to be pulled in to make the cabinet live. I will make a call today and keep you posted.
As I understand it, Hora put the ducting in place, KN are to do the connections between the cabinet and individual houses while Eircom/Eir are to do the main connection to the cabinet (presumably from Beverton). It looks like Eircom are the culprits here, multiple calls to them have shown how incompetent and lax they are. As UPC isn't available able yet I'm guessing they know there's a captive audience, or maybe they're just useless...

We're struggling along with a Meteor mobile hotspot, 4G-compatible but only really getting 3G speeds (a few Mb/s). Just about ok for email and basic browsing, but didn't even bother with streaming. Weak/pacthy connection within the houses.

Meg

Post by Meg » 08 Oct 2015, 18:07

Hi there!

I'm very interested in becoming one of your neighbors, but I'm still a bit green on the whole buy-your-own-house topic.
Me and my family want to move to Beresford in one of the later building stages (Beresford Woods), since we are not quite ready to move yet. I'm already in contact with hora, to get as many infos as possible (I do like to plan ahead).
Can you tell me what you mean by "first stage, second stage" when you talk about when you bought your house? I would also be interested in how/when the whole payment-thing happens, and how early I have to apply for a mortgage.
Did anyone buy a house type C (3 bedrooms, 109qm), could you tell me how much it cost?

Any info is very much appreciated!
Meg

diggerbarnes

Post by diggerbarnes » 08 Oct 2015, 19:23

Quello Serio

Post by Quello Serio » 09 Oct 2015, 11:28

Meg wrote: Did anyone buy a house type C (3 bedrooms, 109qm), could you tell me how much it cost?
You don't have to wonder anymore, its all public knowledge:
https://www.propertypriceregister.ie/we ... 20donabate

And the map in the document here lets you know which ones are type 'C'. :
http://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochu ... in/3245427

Austy

Post by Austy » 11 Oct 2015, 10:07

Just remember that the prices on the property price register do not include VAT.

Archdale

Post by Archdale » 01 Nov 2015, 06:32

Has anyone opted to convert their attic and if so which company did they use ? Considering setting up the attic for a future conversion to save additional cost/work further down the line.

Cheers in advance.

Austy

Post by Austy » 01 Nov 2015, 10:20

Converting mine at the min, doing it myself. Saves approx 6,000 but takes much longer! If your house is still at drawing stage and not built, make sure the builder keeps the bedroom wall back and don't fit wardrobes that protrudes out over stairs as this will need to be removed for conversion. Builder will know the score. Also, make sure you convert to all building regs otherwise you can't sell the house later as having an extra bedroom. If you need more info, let me know.

Cazza

Post by Cazza » 01 Nov 2015, 21:05

Austy wrote:Converting mine at the min, doing it myself. Saves approx 6,000 but takes much longer! If your house is still at drawing stage and not built, make sure the builder keeps the bedroom wall back and don't fit wardrobes that protrudes out over stairs as this will need to be removed for conversion. Builder will know the score. Also, make sure you convert to all building regs otherwise you can't sell the house later as having an extra bedroom. If you need more info, let me know.
Hi Austy, we have bought in phase two and are interested to know more about the attic conversion. When did you find out about having to move wall? Our house is already built, and we were never aware of this fact and now are obviously quite disappointed we have more work than anticipated in converting the attic!
Are you aware if all types of houses require a wall to be moved?
I note that you doing a lot of the work yourself-fair play! We would ideally like to get our stairs put in now and convert at a later date, so just wondering if you can recommend anyone for the stairs?
My apologies for all the questions, but thanks in advance!

Austy

Post by Austy » 01 Nov 2015, 22:46

Hi Cazza.
Mine is a 4 bed, so when I discussed it with Hora we knew we needed to keep the wall over the stairs back. If yours is a 3 bed, the same might not apply as I don't know the layout, perhaps let me know the house type (i.e.: A, B, C etc.) and I might be able to give you a better indication. The stairs I installed has 2 steps, 3 steps winding around 90 degrees and another 7-8 steps to the attic. In order to install this, I cut a hole in the ceiling about 2.5m x 1.2m. The main reason I kept the wall back was so that the new stairs wouldn't foul the gable window on the half landing of the existing stairs.

The stairs was supplied by Kilgallon, a Sligo based outfit. Daingean Joinery supply the stairs to the site at the minute and would have deliveries going in on a regular basis. I think there was about €50 in the difference and a team will come out and fit it. I'm unsure if they require the hole to be cut in the ceiling. Just to keep in mind that you should keep the stairs 800mm wide (same as the existing stairs) so as to fully conform with building regulations. There should be zero price difference between say 750mm and 800mm anyway. All handrails, spindles and newel posts are pretty much stock items.

The other thing to do is to ensure that you use the same specification insulation and insulation backed plasterboard as existing in the house, otherwise you could end up with an icebox compared to the rest of the house which will constantly lead to cold air coming down the hall. You will also need a draught barrier.
Your Velux window needs to double as a fire escape, so make sure it's big enough. (Dept. of Environment have an online leaflet that is pretty handy for this.) We were going to go with two small ones but it is in fact cheaper to go with one huge one and it's also less work! You also need to keep in mind the position of the water tank.
The door to the attic room must be a 30 min fire door, all doors and skirting etc. come from Louth Timber Products and handles from Proline in Inchicore. Both supply the site.
You should also have an emergency light in the new stair well in case of fire and a new smoke alarm which should be connected into the mains supply as per the existing ones.
Also, you need to drop two copper pipes under the attic floor down to the hot water tank for a radiator. The airpump system installed is large enough to cope.

Just remember, anything that needs fixing, you can do it with a hammer!