bus

General discussion on all issues relating to Donabate and Portrane

bus

Postby pat mustard » 10 Aug 2017, 09:55

Any optimists out there expecting an improvement?

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social- ... -1.3182303
pat mustard

Re: bus

Postby Derek » 10 Aug 2017, 10:10

pat mustard wrote:Any optimists out there expecting an improvement?

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social- ... -1.3182303

No, quite the opposite in fact.
Derek

Postby pat mustard » 10 Aug 2017, 11:18

pat mustard

Postby estuarine » 10 Aug 2017, 11:43

Well straight up, regular 33B user here. It's funny reading some of the reaction to this on other forums from people who seem to have a knee-jerk reaction that is hostile to the public service or semi-states. I'll just judge it on its merits.

In my experience, the 33B has been an excellently run service. The punctuality is excellent overall and the buses are almost always spotless. Dublin Bus drivers aren't particularly known for their pleasantness, let's put it like that, but I've always got the impression that the drivers on the 33B were professional in their approach and some seemed to have built up a rapport particularly with some of the senior citizens or indeed more vulnerable passengers on the route. The frequency at certain times, particularly weekends, isn't acceptable but that's no reflection on the personnel operating the route.

It seems that little should change although I do feel for the staff involved today - they must have concerns about where this leads in the long term. What does strike me as odd is that Transport for Ireland doesn't seem to grasp what integrating a bus service involving various operators should look like. Requiring the successful bidder to provide a depot is excessive. Essentially, the buses should remain Dublin Buses in terms of overall appearance and use the existing depot. The other issue is the idea of a centralised control room to monitor the overall Dublin Bus service. I'm not an expert on this but I have a good friend in a senior position in Transport for London and basically there is central coordination of the various operators there afaik.
estuarine

Postby RunningAround » 10 Aug 2017, 17:51

Anyone know if the 33d will be affected? It's not on the list of routes mentioned.....
RunningAround

Postby pat mustard » 10 Aug 2017, 18:28

therefore.... :)
pat mustard

Postby RunningAround » 10 Aug 2017, 19:43

Well its not on the live bus feed either....they tend to forget it exists most of the time.
I'll contact them....
RunningAround

Postby Derek » 11 Aug 2017, 07:59

RunningAround wrote:Well its not on the live bus feed either....they tend to forget it exists most of the time.
I'll contact them....

it's not part of the tender. I wouldn't contact them either.

What's goes below the radar stays below the radar.... ;)
Derek

Postby Vlad the Impaler » 11 Aug 2017, 10:55

I'm always amused when someone compliments the public service for doing their job properly. As if it's a wonderous thing.

I paid 2.75 for a bus trip from Nassau Street to the RDS last week.

Competition is a healthy thing, if you remember the cost of Aer Lingus fares before Ryanair for example.
Vlad the Impaler

Postby Derek » 11 Aug 2017, 11:07

Vlad the Impaler wrote:I'm always amused when someone compliments the public service for doing their job properly. As if it's a wonderous thing.

I paid 2.75 for a bus trip from Nassau Street to the RDS last week.

Competition is a healthy thing, if you remember the cost of Aer Lingus fares before Ryanair for example.

But Vlad, there's no competition here. It's taking over existing routes, not providing new ones. Nobody can seem to explain how a private operator can make money working these routes whilst obliged to do so at using the same fare structures and service levels. In the longer term, either fares go up or services go down, or both. This scenario is not in the customer's interest.

Meanwhile the government is conveniently doing this as a means of reducing the state subvention for what are essential public services. Again, this isn't in the customers interest. The fall out from the Bus Eireann dispute and its impact on the public was well noted.

In terms of the current 33B and 33D services, I couldn't fault Dublin Bus at all which to be honest is providing an effective, punctual and value for money service.
Derek

Postby Bawner » 16 Aug 2017, 18:46

Presumably leapcard and taxsaver tickets can be used on these services. I understand single decker ir smaller buses will be used. Makes sense as I've never seen enough people on 33b to justify double decker. Would be great if they were to go as far as airport.
Bawner

Postby pat mustard » 16 Aug 2017, 19:29

where ye hear that? (single deckers)

not an issue.but is this news drip feed stuff?
pat mustard

Postby Bawner » 16 Aug 2017, 19:55

Soundbyte on radio earlier in week. Can't remember who was talking.
Bawner

Return to General Discussion