Flavours of Fingal

General discussion on all issues relating to Donabate and Portrane
RPB81

Flavours of Fingal

Post by RPB81 » 19 Jun 2018, 14:00

Hi, just wondering if there has been any notice of road closures/limited access this weekend? Catching a Ferry on Saturday so need to know how to get out

Ken
Site Admin

Re: Flavours of Fingal

Post by Ken » 19 Jun 2018, 14:29

Regards,

Ken.

RPB81

Post by RPB81 » 19 Jun 2018, 14:57

Ken wrote:Details were posted on Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/DonabatePortra ... 0011610676
Thanks Ken, so for residents in Turvey, Beverton & Beresford we are not able to leave our homes in cars after 10am? Or we can in the direction of Hearse Road;

• Local access to and from Donabate/Portrane will be maintained via Hearse Road.
• Turvey Avenue will not be a through road for residents between 10am and 7pm on both days.

Ken
Site Admin

Post by Ken » 19 Jun 2018, 16:43

It looks as though there will be access to Donabate/Portrane via the Hearse Road throughout both days.

However, there will be restrictions at Junction 4 on the M1. It looks as though they will not allow traffic to exit and go straight to the Hearse Road and are directing most traffic to junctions 3 and 5. Traffic from junction 4 will be diverted towards Swords (presumably to Park and Ride). As a resident, you will need to go down to the Estuary roundabout and come back up the R132 to enter the Hearse Road.

I would imagine they are trying hard to avoid the total disaster that was the half marathon in Newbridge last year. In the past, Flavours of Fingal has been pretty ok traffic wise. The main difference is, that unlike a race, everybody doesn't try to arrive at the same time. I hope by making these changes that they haven't made things worse for residents.
Regards,

Ken.

bevertonian

Post by bevertonian » 22 Jun 2018, 11:59

I seem to remember last year a band played on the Friday night in the walled garden - Anyone know if this is happening again?

Derek

Post by Derek » 22 Jun 2018, 12:14

There's the risk that the warmer weather will attract beach goers on top the turnout expected for Flavours. Getting in and out of the peninsula could be very tight. Methinks I'll stock up tonight and stay in for the weekend. :D

Ken
Site Admin

Post by Ken » 22 Jun 2018, 12:35

I think you're right Derek.

I see they've put cherry pickers outside Jones's and one in Newbridge itself. Looks as though these are for cameras to monitor traffic. Not sure if there is one by Turvey also as I haven't been down there recently.

If so, it does seem as though FCC certainly learned lessons from the half marathon disaster and will hopefully take evasive action if traffic gets too heavy.
Regards,

Ken.

diggerbarnes

Post by diggerbarnes » 22 Jun 2018, 12:41

By evasive action do you mean run away?

Ken
Site Admin

Post by Ken » 22 Jun 2018, 12:51

diggerbarnes wrote:By evasive action do you mean run away?
Blame the Guards :D
Regards,

Ken.

Banana

Post by Banana » 22 Jun 2018, 14:11

theres a list of bands playing in the walled garden on the website and the free bus up there every half hour looks good too - but I'd say best idea is to stock the fridge tonight and stay local for the weekend , unless you want to sit in a traffic jam on the hearse road getting into the village

Mr. Stupid

Post by Mr. Stupid » 24 Jun 2018, 22:18

Thought the event was a bit tacky.

Flavours of Fingal implies there might be some nice food there. It was mainly over-priced fast food cr*p. The kids' slides etc were good but had massive queues.

bevertonian

Post by bevertonian » 25 Jun 2018, 13:30

I thought it was anything but tacky......
The pizza and paella that I tasted was absolutly gorgeous even if it was a bit on the steep side, but that is really the norm at events like these. You don't have to be Einstein to work out if there are free activities it is going to be busy, get there early and the queues, if any will be at a minimum....
The bands and demonstrations, showhorses etc I thought were excellent. Overall I thought it was a great success, it helped having lovely weather aswell - Looking forward to future ones.....Well Done Fingal County Council on a great event.......

Vlad the Impaler

Post by Vlad the Impaler » 25 Jun 2018, 18:58

The real bottleneck when events like this occur is the main road on to the motorway.

A slip road for Balbriggan, Rush and Lusk users is urgently required upstream from us.

Macktheknife

Post by Macktheknife » 26 Jun 2018, 14:30

In the summertime, I make sure I have all my shopping etc done by 12noon latest, because of problems accessing my home, due to beach, golf courses and ice cream shop. If I need to go out later in the day, I allow an extra 15/20 mins to get out of Donabate. People seem to feel they can block roads, driveways etc and the ice cream shop customers are the worst. You have take care walking along the pavement on the way home from the train as they reverse out and if you say anything, YOU are the one at fualt !! After a wonderful 16 years leaving here, no longer a nice place to live. Time to look for somewhere else......................