Bus Changes 33b & 33d

General discussion on all issues relating to Donabate and Portrane

Bus Changes 33b & 33d

Postby RunningAround » 10 Jul 2018, 16:58

From Darragh O‘Brien
Subject: UPDATE: BusConnects Proposed Changes for Donabate & Portrane

A Chara,

I hope that this finds you well. Please see below the changes proposed by Government and the National Transport Authority to the bus routes in our area. These changes are part of the BusConnects proposed overhaul of the bus network, which whilst increasing the total number of buses in Dublin overall, would mean a loss of direct services to and from for Donabate and Portrane to the City Centre.

Proposed Changes:

The 33d would be replaced by the non-direct 280/D route. This route would not go directly to Dublin City Centre, you would have to change in Clare Hall.

The 33b would be replaced by the 280.

We believe that rather than reducing its direct services Donabate and Portrane need more capacity on the 33d making use of the M1 and Port Tunnel.

These proposals are not final. The NTA will be accepting public views from 16th July to 14th September and submissions should be made to consultations@nationaltransport.ie. The full proposal can be seen at http://www.busconnects.ie. We would encourage you to make your own submission, the more submissions the better.

Adrian and I will be putting in a submission to maintain the well-used 33, 33a and 33x, as we believe that Donabate and Portrane need increased direct and peak services on routes making use of the M1 and Port Tunnel.

If you have any queries in relation to this or any other issue please do not hesitate to contact us.

Kind Regards,

Darragh
RunningAround

Re: Bus Changes 33b & 33d

Postby pat mustard » 11 Jul 2018, 07:29

FFS, this ****** country, if it works, break it.

Trains are at bursting point, so people will get back in their cars.
pat mustard

Postby RunningAround » 11 Jul 2018, 09:37

I know ridiculous isn’t it!

I’ll be making a submission but assume it will be ignored.

I contacted Eirbus last year, who run the Fingal and Swords express services, I will be contacting them again and would encourage others to do the same. They said they would consider a route from Donabate/Portrane it if they had enough interest, but currently they felt that the train was a preference for people and they would not have enough of a customer base.

Info@eirbus.ie
RunningAround

Postby Macktheknife » 12 Jul 2018, 09:09

This is crazy. We all saw a few weeks ago what happened when there was an incident on the line and there were no trains. the 33D was full before it even got into the village. Many of us who travel into the city do not have parking at our jobs and cannot use our cars. The trains are getting more and more full each day. There was a time when you were guaranteed to get a seat on the 6.40am train but no more and it is ridiculous that the 7am train is only four carriages. We need more buses not less. The 33d could run more often than once a day and still get passengers. I think these new bus proposals will mean more people giving up on the bus. Why take a bus half way and then have to queue again for another one ? Another crazy idea from civil servants who have free parking and don't have to put up with inadequate train/bus services...........
Macktheknife

Postby Derek » 12 Jul 2018, 10:13

I've read those "Bus Connect" proposals and there are many issues with it which are a concern.

I don't understand the rationale of running the renamed 33B to Clongriffin / Clare Hall because quite frankly, there's no apparent need for it. If you wanted to add substance to the 33B then I'd send it via Dublin Airport and then on to DCU.

The 33D proposals are equally unfathomable. The morning service is loaded sufficiently to be self sustaining, so again I don't see the need to reroute and terminate it as proposed. And again there's an arguable case for additional 33D's on top of leaving the existing one untouched.

Perhaps the biggest concern is the proposed service model and the expectation that people will chop and change buses on a route where they don't currently need to. This is a worrying departure because if you look at population demographics and how things will change in the next few years as the population grows northwards, ideally you would be running everything north of Dublin airport to the city centre without stopping. If you expect people to decamp buses once or twice enroute then they are making journeys like ours unnecessarily and avoidably longer for no apparent benefit. I really don't think this has been thought out properly.
Derek

Postby Bawner » 14 Jul 2018, 20:21

You couldn't make this sh!t up.

Sounds like they want to apply an unwanted proposal and then turn around in a year and pull it because no one is using it. Good suggestion to run a 33B bus to DCU.

Yes the 33D is full and gets more people each Sept.
Bawner

Postby RunningAround » 17 Jul 2018, 07:24

Submissions are now open.

I included Adrian Henchy and Darragh O’Brien on my submission:

Adrian Henchy (Adrian.Henchy@cllrs.fingal.ie)
Darragh O’Brien (Darragh.OBrien@Oireachtas.ie)

Adrian responded to say they agreed with everything and would be putting in a similar submission.
RunningAround

Postby RunningAround » 17 Aug 2018, 08:40

More information on the village Facebook page.

The bus into the city is the 33D not 33x as mentioned in the post.

https://www.facebook.com/12958459053356 ... 384617605/
RunningAround

Postby Bawner » 27 Sep 2018, 12:26

Hi.
Reminder that tomorrow is the deadline to get submissions in regarding feedback on proposed bus framework for the peninsula (33D to city will be gone). Submissions can be made by emailing consultations@busconnects.ie

See www.busconnects.ie for overall proposals.
Bawner

Postby Tayto » 27 Sep 2018, 13:15

METRO LINK
+
BUSCONNECT
=
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9Xg7ui5mLA

Tayto
Tayto

Postby Mr. Stupid » 27 Sep 2018, 16:18

It seems like it all about splitting Dublin in inner and outer Dublin. If you live close you get a bus straight into town if you don't; you no longer do.
Mr. Stupid

Postby bronorton » 28 Sep 2018, 13:09

Can anyone effected by this or who values a Bus Service please add a submission.

North Dublin Commuters are being totally ignored with this proposal and if no private operators come in to fill the void a valuable service will be lost
bronorton

Postby Lo-cal » 28 Sep 2018, 17:29

I am affected by these proposals and have sent a submission today and have encouraged other users of the service to do the same.

Seems like there has been some update reported on the matter this afternoon:
https://www.rte.ie/news/dublin/2018/092 ... transport/
Lo-cal

Return to General Discussion