Housing - Ballymastone

General discussion on all issues relating to Donabate and Portrane
Post Reply
pat mustard
Posts: 304
Joined: 22 Sep 2012, 11:23
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 1 time

Housing - Ballymastone

Post by pat mustard » 30 Jan 2019, 10:38

Recent leaflet drop by FF claiming they got a 80/20 split on private/social housing . Am sure there were others involved but I suppose this is good if true. a sensible split.

of all houses to be built in Ballymastone: max 80 build this year, max 100 beyond that.


Framework for village rejuvenation agreed by FCC to start this year.


will still never vote for the F$%^&s though.

Sleepy
Posts: 46
Joined: 14 Jun 2016, 13:44
Has thanked: 4 times

Re: Housing - Ballymastone

Post by Sleepy » 31 Jan 2019, 11:55

It saddens me tbh. Adrian Henchy seems to be a great local representative but should he ever make (what'd seem an inevitable) bid for a Dáil seat I couldn't give him a vote in good conscience.

User avatar
Ken
Site Admin
Posts: 1270
Joined: 21 Sep 2012, 13:03
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 9 times

Re: Housing - Ballymastone

Post by Ken » 31 Jan 2019, 14:41

I would be in the same boat re FF myself. I've never voted for them. However, when it comes to local representatives, those with access to TDs and that have a party machine behind them can be more effective that many independents that just serve to make noise.

There's a lot at stake on the penninsula over the next few years and we need local reps that can have an impact.
Regards,

Ken.

diggerbarnes
Posts: 363
Joined: 18 Oct 2012, 10:20
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Housing - Ballymastone

Post by diggerbarnes » 31 Jan 2019, 16:05

Ken wrote:
31 Jan 2019, 14:41
I would be in the same boat re FF myself. I've never voted for them. However, when it comes to local representatives, those with access to TDs and that have a party machine behind them can be more effective that many independents that just serve to make noise.

There's a lot at stake on the penninsula over the next few years and we need local reps that can have an impact.
And sadly, this is why we have the Healy-Raes.

Fr Jack
Posts: 41
Joined: 02 Oct 2012, 10:54

Re: Housing - Ballymastone

Post by Fr Jack » 31 Jan 2019, 22:21

Sleepy wrote:
31 Jan 2019, 11:55
It saddens me tbh. Adrian Henchy seems to be a great local representative but should he ever make (what'd seem an inevitable) bid for a Dáil seat I couldn't give him a vote in good conscience.
I'm looking forward to the day that Cretin knocks on my door looking for a vote!!

User avatar
Ken
Site Admin
Posts: 1270
Joined: 21 Sep 2012, 13:03
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 9 times

Re: Housing - Ballymastone

Post by Ken » 01 Feb 2019, 15:49

It would be interesting to understand what people expect of our local representatives. What do you see as their role?

When it comes to development, I'm not sure they can do much bar voice concerns. I get the feeling there are some people who feel that they should be stopping development on the peninsula. Unfortunately, that's not going to happen. The best we can achieve is to try and ensure it happens in a responsible and sustainable way.

There are larger developments that will go straight to ABP for approval thus bypassing the local authorities completely.
Regards,

Ken.

Mr. Stupid
Posts: 662
Joined: 15 Oct 2012, 11:54
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Housing - Ballymastone

Post by Mr. Stupid » 02 Feb 2019, 12:51

There is a bit of spoof going on here.
20% min social.
20% affordable and the others will low end of the market, small little duplex crap.
After a few years, when the various landlords are renting to HAP scheme it is more likely to be 80% social housing and a ghetto.

This is the thing about Irish people - so easy to fool.

dearg11
Posts: 26
Joined: 22 Apr 2017, 11:10
Has thanked: 1 time

Re: Housing - Ballymastone

Post by dearg11 » 05 Feb 2019, 18:30

Mr. Stupid wrote:
02 Feb 2019, 12:51
There is a bit of spoof going on here.
20% min social.
20% affordable and the others will low end of the market, small little duplex crap.
After a few years, when the various landlords are renting to HAP scheme it is more likely to be 80% social housing and a ghetto.

This is the thing about Irish people - so easy to fool.
Could not agree more
The British were right when they described us as a nation of gombeens
Celtic tiger developers who ripped off people with over priced low quality housing, saddled with huge mortgages, now back with a bang , developing ghettos to solve the "housing crisis" , further deflating house prices of people with a lifetime of debt.

While us gobshites all go to work , Donabate will become a cesspit if we are not too careful , while our so called local representatives fill us full of crap, NFMHS , roads, no garda station , gangs terrifying people around the town , and that's before they even start building the new Darndale/Neilstown........meanwhile don't even get me started on the national representatives , National Childrens Hospital scandal etc..........we reap what we sow, nation of gombeens indeed

Mr. Stupid
Posts: 662
Joined: 15 Oct 2012, 11:54
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Housing - Ballymastone

Post by Mr. Stupid » 05 Feb 2019, 21:34

Here is what I expect of my local reps Tell us unequivocally they are against the amount of social housing on its way in Donabate. An apartment complex in Donabate is taking more than twice the amount of the entire county of Offaly.
They could challenge Fingal CC's policy in this regard and hold the council to account. None of them are.

Matsugawa
Posts: 19
Joined: 27 Oct 2016, 21:28

Re: Housing - Ballymastone

Post by Matsugawa » 05 Feb 2019, 22:32

How many housing estates in Donabate would people here consider to be “bad estates” (the sort of places you wouldn’t park your car in, or walk around at night)? I can’t think of any.

The town I grew up in, similar size, had at least two bad estates you wouldn’t set foot in (and the town was outside Dublin).

Some people here are coming across as snobs and nimbys who either don’t want any development or only want it if it’s high end private development.

Donabate seems pretty balanced in terms of housing development - some high end developments, some mixed and some lower end.

Posters on this forum need to dial it down a bit.

Before I moved here I read a post on the old donbateportrane.com forum about some having “to defend their property with a bat” Charles Bronson style. For a while I thought I’d made a mistake biting a house here,
But it was just some lunatic giving a normal town a bad name it doesn’t deserve.

dearg11
Posts: 26
Joined: 22 Apr 2017, 11:10
Has thanked: 1 time

Re: Housing - Ballymastone

Post by dearg11 » 05 Feb 2019, 22:58

Mr. Stupid wrote:
05 Feb 2019, 21:34
Here is what I expect of my local reps Tell us unequivocally they are against the amount of social housing on its way in Donabate. An apartment complex in Donabate is taking more than twice the amount of the entire county of Offaly.
They could challenge Fingal CC's policy in this regard and hold the council to account. None of them are.
Don't forget the people that bought The Gallery at the height of the boom for massively inflated prices,
their prices were only starting to stabilize again, and what happens, this beautiful development gets hijacked by a housing association .

What's the harm in that you might think,
Well here's the problem........they don't want to sell any of them to people from the local area or any area or that matter who have worked hard and scrimped and saved possibly with the intention of wanting to live close to their families,

No this association wants to give not just a home, but a new improved, luxury updated version of the original development to people for free..... sorry I mean for the tax payer to pay for along with their own mortgages,

Where does this madness end , we really are living in an asylum

User avatar
Ken
Site Admin
Posts: 1270
Joined: 21 Sep 2012, 13:03
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 9 times

Re: Housing - Ballymastone

Post by Ken » 06 Feb 2019, 09:17

dearg11 wrote:
05 Feb 2019, 22:58
Don't forget the people that bought The Gallery at the height of the boom for massively inflated prices,
their prices were only starting to stabilize again, and what happens, this beautiful development gets hijacked by a housing association .

What's the harm in that you might think,
Well here's the problem........they don't want to sell any of them to people from the local area or any area or that matter who have worked hard and scrimped and saved possibly with the intention of wanting to live close to their families,

No this association wants to give not just a home, but a new improved, luxury updated version of the original development to people for free..... sorry I mean for the tax payer to pay for along with their own mortgages,

Where does this madness end , we really are living in an asylum
What's your source in terms of Housing Associations giving out free homes? They may in extreme circumstances, but most are rent or rent to buy schemes.
Regards,

Ken.

Seamus
Posts: 20
Joined: 12 Sep 2018, 18:32

Re: Housing - Ballymastone

Post by Seamus » 06 Feb 2019, 13:10

Ken wrote:
06 Feb 2019, 09:17
dearg11 wrote:
05 Feb 2019, 22:58
Don't forget the people that bought The Gallery at the height of the boom for massively inflated prices,
their prices were only starting to stabilize again, and what happens, this beautiful development gets hijacked by a housing association .

What's the harm in that you might think,
Well here's the problem........they don't want to sell any of them to people from the local area or any area or that matter who have worked hard and scrimped and saved possibly with the intention of wanting to live close to their families,

No this association wants to give not just a home, but a new improved, luxury updated version of the original development to people for free..... sorry I mean for the tax payer to pay for along with their own mortgages,

Where does this madness end , we really are living in an asylum
What's your source in terms of Housing Associations giving out free homes? They may in extreme circumstances, but most are rent or rent to buy schemes.
If you are interested in Housing Associations, for example Oaklee, which has purchased the two buildings in the Gallery, charges rent based on your income, subject to a minimum rent of €13 per week (https://www.oaklee.ie/media/2069/differ ... cheme-2016).

Housing Associations do not generally provide a rent to buy scheme and Oaklee specifically does not permit tenants to purchase their properties (see https://www.oaklee.ie/tenant-tools/pay-your-rent).

Post Reply