This place is getting worse

General discussion on all issues relating to Donabate and Portrane
aoifey

This place is getting worse

Post by aoifey » 08 Apr 2019, 13:07

yes yes a dramatic subject line but it's how i feel.

the people are great, the community is great, the sports clubs are great, but.....

we are being dictated to by developers. the roads are in bits. takes planning now to get in and out of the village. we are a large town with village infrastructure with no concrete signs of that changing except for us becoming a larger town. we'll have just under half the population of waterford city within the next 5 to 10 years but with village infrastructure.

last night there were gangs (and no im not being dramatic) of young people walking around fighting, spilling out onto the main road fighting. couple of young guys thinking they are conor mcgregor with their fighting stances and weak punches, though as they were aiming for another guys head, it could have ended badly. and this was in daylight around 7pm. Don't know if they were local or not though i didnt recognise them. i've seen this several times before. we have a bunch of low-life thugs smashing up a childrens playground. what do their parents have to say about that. ive heard names of a couple of parents of these alleged playground smasher uppers and to be honest, if true, i'm quite surprised. either way i blame the parents of these kids as equally as i blame the kids.

we have global corporations buying up housing in new estates taking them away from first time buyers and this trend is set to continue. if the rumours are true about another soon to be started large development being sold either in its entirety or partially to housing associations and/or cuckoo funds, then I further fear for this place.

what have our councillors and td's done for us over the last 5 or so years. really, what have they done? they are presiding over the long term destruction of our village/town which unfortunately I can forsee will not be a nice place to live in the next 5 to 10 years. if you cant do your job, then stand down and let someone more qualified and/or passionate do it instead. we shouldnt settle for mediocrity.

and yes im ranting but only because im passionate about where i live and want the best for the place. but i fear i'm wasting my time.

dearg11

Re: This place is getting worse

Post by dearg11 » 08 Apr 2019, 15:29

I couldn't agree more , it is very sad to see. We are literally sleepwalking into this town becoming a lawless kip. I am not being dramatic but if we don't stand up and do something now , just picture the place in 10 years time. If locals continue with the apathy that's been shown recently then we deserve what we get. Even if you are the sort of person that just goes to work and closes their door each evening to the world without thinking , remember this , if for no other reason than protecting the resale value of your house which is currently your home but could potentially in the future be your nest egg or sole pension, then stand up for those selfish reasons alone.
The majority of our Councillors and TD's have let us down badly either through ineptitude , looking after vested interests or looking after their own areas by using us as Fingal County Councils toilet , please stand up and take notice .

There are local and National elections due very soon , please vote for local people that have to live with the consequences of their decisions. I don't care what your party affiliations are , but time and time again people in this town keep voting for people that live in Swords, Malahide and other North County towns . We even voted in a local representative that lived in Mulhuddart. WHY WHY WHY????. This is not a personal attack on any individual because if I lived somewhere else in Fingal I'd also vote to dump all dubious activity to somebody else's area.

VOTE LOCAL VOTE LOCAL

Sleepy

Post by Sleepy » 08 Apr 2019, 16:19

aoifey wrote:
08 Apr 2019, 13:07
we shouldnt settle for mediocrity.
I dunno, I'd settle for mediocrity. It'd be a damn sight better than the total incompetence we're seeing at the moment.

Asased

Post by Asased » 10 Apr 2019, 08:45

''This place is getting worse'' - Actually This place is getting much much better!!Beacuse we'll have a by-pass road in use by the end of the year meaning a huge proportion of traffic will not pass through our village. Isn't it positive that three schools are 'in the planning' for the Ballymastone area for WHEN the population expands. No reason to build them right now! Just a question for you on the debacle in the village last week with youths (who you didn't recognise) running wild. In your self confessed passion about the place and your will to stand up for your community, did you phone the Gardai to report it? Or did you just leave it for someone else to do?

bronorton

Post by bronorton » 10 Apr 2019, 09:36

What is it like working in Fingal CC?

An overdue road, and schools being planned? and we should be thankful........

If the schools are anything like the road they will arrive 5 years after they are needed. Couldn't even widen a bridge on time

Quello Serio

Post by Quello Serio » 10 Apr 2019, 09:53

Asased wrote:
10 Apr 2019, 08:45
''...we'll have a by-pass road"
Its not a by-pass, its a road to open up access to lands to allow housing development. Even Fingal CoCo aren't pretending its a 'by-pass'.

But my favourite bit of the "getting much much better!" post is commenting on how best to handle reports of street fighting.

aoifey

Post by aoifey » 10 Apr 2019, 10:00

Asased wrote:
''This place is getting worse'' - Actually This place is getting much much better!!Beacuse we'll have a by-pass road in use by the end of the year meaning a huge proportion of traffic will not pass through our village. Isn't it positive that three schools are 'in the planning' for the Ballymastone area for WHEN the population expands. No reason to build them right now! Just a question for you on the debacle in the village last week with youths (who you didn't recognise) running wild. In your self confessed passion about the place and your will to stand up for your community, did you phone the Gardai to report it? Or did you just leave it for someone else to do?
I of course welcome your opinion. I'm glad that someone thinks it's getting much better. However your (1st) post smacks of a PR post from a council or someone connected ;)

You honestly think that is a by-pass road? Are you referring to the road being built simply to open up lands for development? The road that should have been built years ago?

When you refer to the three schools, are you talking about the first one which is to be built at Corballis, far away from any actual people who might be going there, instead of the previously approved lands at the Spires, in the heart of the village?
Some cynics might say that the previously approved lands at the Spires where the first school is supposed to go will instead go to developers. But sure that would just be cynical, right?

And yes of course I reported the incident, as did others I was told.
I'm very tolerant of kids being kids. We all did crazy things. But what I'm seeing and hearing about lately is mindless thuggery and I have no issue reporting every incident like it.

dearg11

Post by dearg11 » 10 Apr 2019, 15:54

Asased wrote:
And I thought Joseph Goebbels was dead

Fr Jack

Post by Fr Jack » 10 Apr 2019, 16:58

Asased wrote:
What an idiot. I'm going to assume you're working for Fingal or one of our local representatives. The "Distributor " road should have been built before any development was allowed to begin in Donabate. I see kids just inches away from construction traffic every day of the week. Not acceptable. Very bad planning by Fingal. Development contributions from developers are far more important to Fingal than the safety of residents and their children. I'm sure everyone seen the video of Shannon Valley unloading the digger on the side of the road at 9 in the morning while kids were passing going to School. A blind eye was turned to this by Fingal. Why?? We all know why. More development contributions!!

Derek

Post by Derek » 10 Apr 2019, 17:07

Asased wrote:
Bit of stench of that post

Beenthere

Post by Beenthere » 10 Apr 2019, 21:11

Have a feeling the local elections are going to get dirty. Donabate is a great place to live, we’ve been here 15 years and love it. Glad to see people standing up for our lovely village finally.. It does need new people and all the things that go with it but let’s face it the community here is not something you find everywhere.

albert

Post by albert » 10 Apr 2019, 23:30

I'm currently renting a room in Donabate and have intentions to buy here... went for a walk towards Portrane yesterday evening & it really is a gorgeous little village, lots of people out walking & running...

Really, really hope it doesn't change too much / lose its charm with all the development coming...

Am I naive to think the hybrid dart to Balbrigan will arrive by 2022?

Roger81

Post by Roger81 » 11 Apr 2019, 12:33

Classic keyboard warrior ranting.

Donabate and north county Dublin in general, is a great place to live, it always has been and always will. With development and expansion, there will inevitably be difficulties with change.

Swords expanded hugely in the last 30 years, but yet it’s a desirable place to live. Of course there were and are issues, but nothing that can’t be addressed.

Donabate will be no different. It might get bigger and more populated, but it’s still and will be a great place to live.

aoifey

Post by aoifey » 11 Apr 2019, 12:55

Roger81 wrote:
11 Apr 2019, 12:33
Classic keyboard warrior ranting.

Donabate and north county Dublin in general, is a great place to live, it always has been and always will. With development and expansion, there will inevitably be difficulties with change.

Swords expanded hugely in the last 30 years, but yet it’s a desirable place to live. Of course there were and are issues, but nothing that can’t be addressed.

Donabate will be no different. It might get bigger and more populated, but it’s still and will be a great place to live.
It's worrying when people try to shut down debate and discussion with the "classic keyboard warrior" line. If you don't agree with an opinion then fine. But it's easily discussed without insults. Besides the fact that I'm very active in a voluntary capacity in the community, your keyboard warrior comment is completely out of place with me anyway.

Swords has a Garda station with actual real Gardai. Swords has dozens of roads in and out of it. Plenty of alternative routes for when construction is going on. Swords has many many buses into and out of it. Swords has hundreds of shops, restaurants and businesses of all kinds. Swords has many sports clubs with plenty of capacity. Swords has about 17 schools. You're not comparing like with like. Let me know of another large town with village infrastructure with 2 roads in and out and then we can discuss similarities.

Donabate is a great place to live, which is why I'm saying what I'm saying. I want it to continue to be a great place to live but without proper planning it certainly wont be. And we dont have proper planning at the moment. If you're one of the people who simply like the status quo and don't want to challenge things, then that is of course your perogative. However I like to get up off my ass and challenge what I think is wrong. I don't like to accept things just because someone in a position of authority tells me to. Democracy thankfully allows us the freedom to challenge. Getting these people to actually listen and do something is the real problem.

Roger81

Post by Roger81 » 11 Apr 2019, 13:05

Comment was directed at you - the general trend of this forum is scaremongering and doom and gloom, which is disappointing. Donabate is a great area but the impression been given from this forum suggests the opposite.

Swords 30 years ago didn’t have all that. I know it’s not like with like but I suppose my point is, it will develop, and a more populous Donabate isn’t the worst thing.

aoifey

Post by aoifey » 11 Apr 2019, 13:10

Roger81 wrote:
11 Apr 2019, 13:05
Comment was directed at you - the general trend of this forum is scaremongering and doom and gloom, which is disappointing. Donabate is a great area but the impression been given from this forum suggests the opposite.

Swords 30 years ago didn’t have all that. I know it’s not like with like but I suppose my point is, it will develop, and a more populous Donabate isn’t the worst thing.
i dont think it's all doom and gloom at all. I see people pointing out valid issues with the hope that the issues will be addressed and fixed.

i welcome a more populous donabate, but not at the expense of infrastructure and quality of life for existing and future residents. There really is only one chance of getting this right. So to me it makes sense to discuss this, to provide feedback to the council and to get our councillors to act on the feedback. At the end of the day it's for the better or all of us.

Roger81

Post by Roger81 » 11 Apr 2019, 14:17

Sorry, comment WAS NOT directed at you 🙈

I agree with your concerns but the topic post is a bit sensationalist, as “getting worse” suggests that it is already a bad place, which it isn’t.

I think we’re probably on the same page and are advocating for a better/improved or continued sense of good community, but expressed views at opposite ends of the spectrum.

dearg11

Post by dearg11 » 11 Apr 2019, 14:18

Swords 30 years ago didn’t have all that

Actually Swords did have buses, banks,shops, restaurants......actually it had a whole town 30 years ago.

I have previously stated we are the toilet for Fingal CC commitments , out of sight, out of mind, and yes it is our own fault, electing people without any connection to the LOCAL area, they don't have to live with the consequences of their actions.

I don't care what party or independent people have an affiliation with, just vote LOCAL PEOPLE in the elections, you know the type of people that would have had to live by the huge attempted sewerage plant they tried to dump on us a couple of years ago, or people that might be affected if their kids aren't safe in the village, or spend half the evening trying to get home.. You get the idea

VOTE LOCAL

Zo123

Post by Zo123 » 11 Apr 2019, 14:22

I agree with Roger. Serious amount of whinging on this forum. Seems to be the place to come to give out.
I only joined here a few months ago to get a feel for what the area is like as I'm planning to buy. I just hope the constant moaners represent a small minority.

I do understand that recent changes must be frustrating for long time residents and a hope and willingness to drive for better planning and management is commendable. But most threads end up being rant threads here with little positive to say.

Matsugawa

Post by Matsugawa » 14 Apr 2019, 10:35

Swords is the second largest town in Ireland (1). Donabate doesn’t feature in a list of the fastest growing towns in Ireland (2).

It isn’t reasonable to compare Donabate with Swords in any way.

Only Skerries, Swords, Balbriggan and Malahide have Garda stations in our vicinity. Skerries is the smallest of those towns with a Garda station and it’s population is about 30% more though Skerries has been a larger town for a lot longer then Donabate.

That said, Donabate isn’t even growing as fast as Lusk, Rush, Ashbourne or Kinsealy.

“The settlement of Donabate had a population of 7,443 in April 2016 compared to 6,778 in April 2011 a change of 665 persons or 9.8%.”

Also worth noting Portranes population declined by 9.9% in the same period.

Source:
1. CSO via https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.rte.ie/amp/88357/
2. https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublic ... cp2pdm/pd/

Quello Serio

Post by Quello Serio » 14 Apr 2019, 11:32

Matsugawa wrote:
14 Apr 2019, 10:35
Donabate doesn’t feature in a list of the fastest growing towns in Ireland (2).

That said, Donabate isn’t even growing as fast as Lusk, Rush, Ashbourne or Kinsealy.
And now look forward, to the end of expansion plan which is already in progress: A target of 5,200 additional homes, giving a population of 21,000. Donabate will go from #64 on this list: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_u ... population to ~#20, leapfrogging Sligo, Clonmel, Castlebar, Killarney, Malahide. Double the population of Longford. Triple the population of Ballinasloe.

Is the lack of planning (never mind actual delivery!) for a Garda station still reasonable?

dearg11

Post by dearg11 » 14 Apr 2019, 12:46

Quello Serio wrote:
14 Apr 2019, 11:32
Matsugawa wrote:
14 Apr 2019, 10:35
Donabate doesn’t feature in a list of the fastest growing towns in Ireland (2).

And now look forward, to the end of expansion plan which is already in progress: A target of 5,200 additional homes, giving a population of 21,000. Donabate will go from #64 on this list: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_u ... population to ~#20, leapfrogging Sligo, Clonmel, Castlebar, Killarney, Malahide. Double the population of Longford. Triple the population of Ballinasloe.

Is the lack of planning (never mind actual delivery!) for a Garda station still reasonable?
Excellent post
I think we can all agree we are talking about future development and planning of same, or lack of planning apparently. In regards to comments about whingers, I don't think having concerns about the rise in anti social behaviour, or plans for thousands of houses going forward without any infrastructure is whinging. We all live here and it is great to be able to freely debate our concerns, or indeed lack of concerns if that be the case.

My only interest here is proper sustainable development that will benefit all existing and new residents, but as I have previously stated I really believe we are not being treated fairly by Fingal CC, An Bord Pleanala, and some of our elected representatives

The recent developments re so called Cuckoo funds pushing young people out of the housing market , bringing about what could possibly be a largely transient rental market, or indeed another way for local authorities to disguise the real numbers of social housing along with the plans for thousands of "real" social housing is a major cause of concern to me and many others I am sure. Meanwhile we still have no infrastructure to deal with this, with apparently no plans for any either.
Don't forget with a rapidly expanding population, we live on a peninsula with a tiny village, no Garda presence (through no fault of their own),with very limited local job opportunities for young people, and if they do get a job it will more than likely be in a different part of Dublin, but how are they getting there, we have what can only be described as a joke of a bus service that only goes to Swords with the exception of one early bus. Our trains are turning into something you might see in Calcutta. Trucks continuously trundle through the village while kids brave the route to school.
So yes concerns are real , but we will soon have the opportunity to raise those concerns when people come knocking on our doors telling us all the wonderful things they've achieved.

Fr Jack

Post by Fr Jack » 14 Apr 2019, 13:35

I look forward to the knocks on my door!!

Matsugawa

Post by Matsugawa » 14 Apr 2019, 15:16

Dearg11 you sound like you have the making of a local manifesto of some kind - sustainable development, planning enforcement, a Garda station for Donabate. Why don’t you stand for election? Genuine question.

dearg11

Post by dearg11 » 14 Apr 2019, 16:05

Matsugawa wrote:
14 Apr 2019, 15:16
Dearg11 you sound like you have the making of a local manifesto of some kind - sustainable development, planning enforcement, a Garda station for Donabate. Why don’t you stand for election? Genuine question.
Just a concerned resident of Donabate , unfortunately my inability to sustain diplomacy with various oilskinned parties would probably have me in trouble fairly quickly,

That doesn't mean that we can't all vote for a good local with the energy and right manifesto who'll stand up for our community , hopefully one will knock on my door fairly soon