Gang of youths in the spires

General discussion on all issues relating to Donabate and Portrane
patsman

Gang of youths in the spires

Post by patsman » 24 Apr 2019, 16:56

About 30 young lads shouting and messing in the spires just now. They ran off through the Links overheard one of them saying they were heading for grogans. Locals up to no good.

albert

Re: Gang of youths in the spires

Post by albert » 24 Apr 2019, 18:14

What exactly were they doing?

Grogan's.. the pub? I'm still not too familiar with Donabate / Portrane...

Vlad the Impaler

Post by Vlad the Impaler » 25 Apr 2019, 11:39

I heard there was a free for all outside the SuperValu yesterday. Around 30 youths.

Someone from SuperValu tried to intervene and got dragged in.

albert

Post by albert » 25 Apr 2019, 12:09

Any idea what age they were?

Attacking each other, or random passers by?

Is this a problem in all Dublin, or just north county?

A.

aoifey

Post by aoifey » 25 Apr 2019, 13:38

albert wrote:
25 Apr 2019, 12:09
Any idea what age they were?

Attacking each other, or random passers by?

Is this a problem in all Dublin, or just north county?

A.
no idea what happened yesterday but it's a regular occurence.
from what i hear from others, it's gangs of kids taking the train to donabate to start fights and cause general mayhem. whether it's organised or not between them and donabate teenagers i don't know.

it happens generally when they are on holidays from school, so expect to see it on bank holiday weekends and regularly throughout the summer.

seems to happen more so along the train line but Donabate is a popular target it seems because we dont have any guards. the kids probably know that by the time they get off the train, cause general mayhem and get back on the train, the guards will only just be responding.

I would suggest everyone uses the local elections to ensure that the people we elect will work on our behalf. Speak to all the canditates and get a feel for who is genuine or not. Look for the candidates that are passionate about the area and that you feel genuinely care.

I'm concerned that in the last 5 years, despite having 2 locals as councillors, we have taken several backward steps in this area. I have my preference for a number 1 on the ballot, but I still have 4 weeks for my mind to be changed

Vlad the Impaler

Post by Vlad the Impaler » 25 Apr 2019, 19:12

Later in the evening, a group of ‘well known youths’ were caught trying to access the changing rooms in St. Pats GAA while training was underway.

Parents caught them and chased.

Unconfirmed reports suggest a troublemaker has returned to the area following a period of detention.

albert

Post by albert » 25 Apr 2019, 21:16

What's the source of this information Vlad?

To be honest - I'm from a small town up north. Delinquents roam everywhere. I went through a 'little shit' phase myself. Depends on weather or not you grow out of it.

What age are the 'well known youths' ?

Vlad the Impaler

Post by Vlad the Impaler » 25 Apr 2019, 21:22

The source of The SuperValu information was a witness I know. The St Pats GAA was from a club source.

Characters like this are in no way unique to Donabate and we all did a bit of messing when young.

Just useful to know there are one or two willing to go to the next level and indulge in low level criminality. They are known to many.

albert

Post by albert » 25 Apr 2019, 21:38

A tremendous amount of negativity on here & its def a cause concern for residents, but thinking back to my youth in rural Donegal, I don't see anything too dissimilar...

Vlad the Impaler

Post by Vlad the Impaler » 25 Apr 2019, 22:04

Yeah, well everyone knows that head-the-balls are well represented in Donegal. Having spent many a summer there, that's no news to me :D

Donabate is quiet enough. In the school holidays, the devil makes work for idle young boys.

albert

Post by albert » 25 Apr 2019, 22:15

It was a bit wild alright. I do recall entering my first 18+ club (when I was 13) & was terrified... as we approached the bouncer left his post to have a smoke, so we went straight in 🙂 By 16, we were too old for that particular venue 🙂

Are there any community centres in the area? As you said, anything to keep the youth occupied...

Vlad the Impaler

Post by Vlad the Impaler » 26 Apr 2019, 10:42

There are any number of clubs and activities to keep young ones occupied if they look for them in the area.

As in any community, there are the few messers who are more interested in hanging around street corners and looking for trouble.

Women jog around Donabate in the evenings. People walk their dogs. It’s a fairly safe place. Just the few headers with too much free time on their hands.