General Question

General discussion on all issues relating to Donabate and Portrane
Stromboli

General Question

Post by Stromboli » 04 May 2019, 14:34

What is our obsession with the motor car.
Before I go on let me qualify, I drive, cycle, take both the bus and train to work and am a regular dog-walker.

So, why are we obsessed with our cars? This morning was bright and sunny, wasn't too hot nor was it too cold, so a generally a nice morning, however, walking up the avenue towards Reilly's Hill, I was a bit taken aback by the number of parents driving their kids to St. Pats (noticed a few tracksuits) and I assume St. Ita's, in excess of a dozen vehicles passed me in the space of about 2 minutes. .
Now, I'm not condemning individuals I don't know how far they had driven, but I would imagine that a least a few were within walking or cycling distance.
It struck that we really have become so that dependent on our cars that we can't think beyond driving everywhere.
We know we have a problem with climate change, we know the price of petrol is rising, we know there is regular congestion in the village, so why don't we leave the car behind every once in a while.

Is it road safety, is it that we are all so pressed for time that we are in a rush everywhere, or have we just become lazy. :D

Vlad the Impaler

Re: General Question

Post by Vlad the Impaler » 04 May 2019, 20:16

For me, around Donabate, it’s road safety.

With the amount of trucks and traffic flowing through the narrow roads, no cycle lanes, it’s a risk not worth taking with your kids.