Crisis in Childcare- Donabate

General discussion on all issues relating to Donabate and Portrane
RochelleD-Jones

Crisis in Childcare- Donabate

Post by RochelleD-Jones » 20 Sep 2019, 08:34

HI All,

I am sure all of those who have children of creche age in Donabate like myself are so aware of the current crisis in the childcare sector. We have 3 full time creches to choose from, all of which are full to the brim and a waiting list of months. On top of that only two of them take children under the age of 2.

In each new development there should be a creche built however time and time again the developers are asking for permission to change this creche to houses, advising there is no demand or its to expensive.

I know there has been meeting recently in the community with the local councillor etc however I think us as a community need to act also. I have spoke with owners of two creches in Donabate, due to being so stressed about not having adequate childcare for my son, they advised they have lobbied the local council but it looks better if it comes from us the community instead of them the business owners.

We need to contact Final Childcare http://www.fingalcountychildcare.ie/ via phone to tell them about our problems and that we need these new creches.

We need to appeal the current planning permission for a change of usage in the Rahillion from a creche to houses.

We need to ensure they hear the voices of parents about this issue.

If this is a problem you are facing also can I please ask you to;
- call FIngal childcare on 01 4851727 and express your concern or email on info@fingalcountychildcare.ie BUt a phone call and a personal email address is the preferred options.
- Submit an 'observation' on the current planning permission for change of usage in Rahillion. The link is below, you will need to set up an account, write a letter of your thoughts and why you appeal the change from a creche to a house to attach as a document (with your name, address and ref number of planning application) and annoyingly pay 20Euro, which is maybe there way of trying to stop people from protesting against it, but for me it was 20Euros worth paying.
Planning application - F19A/0397
http://www.fingal.ie/planning-and-build ... onsonline/
-Keep lobbying the local councillors about this issue

We as a growing community need to put the pressure on and let them know that the demand is there and we will not take it lying down, this is our children's future.

Sorry for the rant I appreciate all your help from a a very stressed mum.

Rochelle

aoifey

Re: Crisis in Childcare- Donabate

Post by aoifey » 20 Sep 2019, 09:22

unfortunately this is what happens when the government tell the council to build a certain number of houses regardless of lack of infrastructure. An Bord Pleanala have a lot to answer for as well. Decisions made by people who probably have never set foot on the peninsula. Childcare across the country is pretty poor but is particularly poor in donabate/portrane. The town is a commuter town. An influx of 10,000+ extra people with no jobs in Donabate means the government/council have planned it to be a commuter town. This means that people need to travel away from the area to work and so leave their children at a facility. Good planning would ensure these facilities are in place before the people get here. But Irish planning dictates otherwise.

I feel your frustration Rochelle, but unfortunately nothing is going to change short term.
Takae Semple Woods for example.....they were supposed to build a path into the village before the houses were occupied. But of course they didn't do that. What have the council done about it? As far as I can see, they sent them a warning letter. Ohhh, I bet they're scared!

There doesn't seem to be any sanctions for planning breaches unfortunately.

RochelleD-Jones

Re: Crisis in Childcare- Donabate

Post by RochelleD-Jones » 20 Sep 2019, 10:14

I agree , but if we just sit back and do nothing then nothing is going to change