Internet speed

General discussion on all issues relating to Donabate and Portrane
Jerrydoha

My Internet speed is pathetic tonight in Beresford. Wondering if its related to ongoing work in the area or just my Internet
bcronin

Hi Jerry,

I am a local and in IT. I can have a look. If I fix it it will cost €40. If I can't it will cost you nothing.

My name is Breffni Cronin. I live in Kilcrea road. Have lived in Donabate since 1997. Over 10 years IT experience. Obviously I would be in PPE, mask, gloves etc.

BREFFNI CRONIN
087 707 6117
Sleepy

Have noticed a drop in eir's performance in the evenings ourselves over the past week, could well be due to the ongoing work
bcronin

Hi

If you are streaming your ISP know it. If you have a VPN use it. Then try the streaming. A VPN makes the connection slower. However it can make it more stable as your ISP can't track what you are doing.

Your internet speed is also down to bandwith. FIBRE should make things better
Lori lou

Hi Sleepy, we too have noticed a drop in Eir broadband over the last few weeks at all times of day, evening and night.
I gave up trying to contact Eir.
Ken
Site Admin

Can't say I've noticed a problem with Eir Broadband. Tried a few times today on Speedtest.net and getting a solid 59Mbs download and 19Mbs upload.

Annotation 2020-06-22 230010.jpg
Regards,

Ken.
Cathal

1st thing I’d do is check if all devices in your house are effected
Goto Speedtest.net and do a test on at least 2 devices.
Restart router and do the same.
If speeds are still low or pings are high(you want the lowest number possible, ideal less than 10ms) try plugging an Ethernet cable between a laptop and the router and see if this improves the speed for the laptop, this way you’ll know if it’s a WiFi issue or an issue with the ISP
pat mustard

who piggybacks whose service? I used to know , now cant remember. think its Eir for Sky / Vodafone and Virgin out on their own? :?:

Any Eir engineers /or people who know one out there what the new cabling is for, proper gig fibre for Da'Bate or just general upgrades ?

I have Sky, and offers of Eir and Vodafone where I live in Somerton. not virgin.

Can be slow at times in last few months since lockdown, we are both WFH at the mo and other devices attached but not heavy use on these. not in any way bad, just noticable after years of semi WFH.

Eir relaying here also, wondering who can benefit if its supdupa cabling and not general crud they are doing.

Sky charging 55e for 75bit package, gets no where near it.
Voda offering 20e,35e,45e incrementals each 6 months for "up to" 90bit
Eir similar price to Sky and offering up to 90bits,

Its terrible getting old and forgetting stuff :lol:
Ken
Site Admin

AFIK, Eir, Sky and Vodafone is the same network, just different providers. Eir offer two connection types - DSL and fibre to the house. Fibre to the house is only available in limited areas. Not sure if it's in areas of Donabate yet.

Virgin have their own network that is only fire to the house. It's available in some estates.
Regards,

Ken.
Derek

Basically anything over the phone line is Eir or another service provider who lease the line from them at a wholesale rate.

Virgin use their own Tv cable to deliver their home phone, television and internet services. It is separate from Eir and as far as I know they don't sub-let it to other networks like Eir do.

I have noticed a lot of latency with my Eir broadband lately too. Restarting in the router helps but it degrades again over time. I have a hunch that the upsurge in many now working from home, coupled with the use of streaming services is dragging on the networks.

As for the speed test apps, in my case they show no drop in the various bandwidth metrics even when the service is clearly running slow, but I have noticed that the time taken for app to lock on to a target server to perform the speed test is much longer than normal and is the only apparent giveaway that all is not quite right.
Jabba

Agree with Derek above

Am in Beverton and we have Eir fibre, the only issue in addition we have is that the broadband seems to drop a few times a day. Its only about a minute but very annoying when you are WFH
Sleepy

The new router Eir are using (a Sagemcom unit) seems to be worse than useless as well. Have numerous devices in our home (including our WIFI thermostat control for the heating) that can't seem to communicate with it.
Derek

Got chatting with a contractor in my estate who was working on behalf of Eir and was swapping out a customer router. He recommended changing to a Huawei F3000. I have the 2000 presently but these could be starting to show their age now. @sleepy, that Sagemcom router you mentioned, is that a white one?
Derek

Interesting update to share. I logged a support call with Eir online requesting a replacement modem. Had a chat with their tech guru and explained my setup to him. He suggested moving the most intensive bandwidth using devices onto the routers 5ghz service and leave all other devices like mobiles and tablets on the 2.4ghz. So smart TV and work PC were flicked over to the 5ghz channel and The difference thereafter was astounding.
diggerbarnes

Was that something he did or were you able to do it yourself?
pat mustard

Can u provide an idiots guide please to do this, Derek :geek: :geek: :geek:

I dont want to blow up the village.
Lori lou

I would be interested too please if I'm not too cheeky in asking.
Zo123

You need to get your provide to split your signal to two separate 2.4ghz and 5ghz signals first. Then you have two choices of signal to choose from for your devices. 5ghz is always a stronger signal but doesn't travel through walls as well as the 2.4ghz.
luckycat007

Is Virgin Media available in Beverton? Or just Eir?
Derek

My router is a Huawei F2000 provided by Eir. The router uses two frequencies for the WiFi signal, 2.4Ghz and 5ghz (NB don't confuse this with 5g mobile, it's not the same!)

When I search for a Wifi signal on my mobile device, I see my Eir router appearing twice as below:

EIR12345678-2.4G
EIR12345678-5G

Obviously the suffix on the end indicates which frequency I'm using, and I simply connected the devices that I need to run quicker to the 5G channel. This certain worked for me and I got very useful benefit, but there's no guarantee it'll be same for everyone.

Also note that not every device supports 5ghz wifi. The newer the device, the greater the likelihood.
Lori lou

@Derek, thanks a mill for advice. My router is Eir and will certainly do a check on the speeds in the morning.
Harry Byrne

Getting cheesed off with Vodafone service quality, seems to go through 'storms' where a ping can go up to 1,000 m/s before settling again. More than enough to drop you out of a videoconference or zoom. Had the router replaced recently. Fibre not available in my part of Donabate.

I agree that using 5ghz helps the wifi side of things, though I have my WFH device on a TP Link Powerline to avoid wi-fi at all.

Sorry, bit of a geeky post that.